MyFitnessPal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Struggle



I saw this meme on Facebook recently, and it reminded me of growing up. I have frequently had hot dogs or hamburgers with no buns, so we used bread. It didn't bother me, but it got me thinking about other struggles that people don't realize.

You don't know the struggle until:

  • you cant sleep at night because your limbs start to fall asleep or hurt because your own body is crushing them
  • you can only fit into leggings/stretch pants because even your fat work pants wont fit anymore
  • you can't buy wide calf boots because even those won't fit around your legs
  • you don't go shopping with you sisters because you can't shop at the same stores
  • your XXL underwear fall off your ass all day because your front-butt gets in the way
  • you sit at an angle in the car because your stomach gets in the way of the steering wheel otherwise
  • you take the elevator vs. stairs at work because you don't want to be sweating and out of breath for the meeting
  • you can't go to the gym because somehow your XXL gym clothes no longer fit
  • you can't put your socks and shoes on
  • you can't cut  (don't even think about paint) your own toe nails. 

the list goes on...



I found this tattoo a while ago, and I decided it would be a great post-weight loss tattoo. "without struggle there is no progress" It speaks to me on many levels. I have fought hard throughout my life to be successful, so that I didn't have to choose between sandwich bread and hot dog buns in the grocery story (although I should just really avoid carbs... and hot dogs to be honest). The struggle of being overweight is what drives me to want a change. Need a change. A lot of people in my life think this decision to get weight-loss surgery is one of vanity. Sure, I want to look good, but more than that I want to FEEL good. I want to be comfortable in my own body and know that I am doing what is best for ME. 




xoxo, 

Jess




8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I have to remind myself that my struggles to make the right choices is tough, but the struggles I had before or I would have if I stopped fighting. I need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the struggles that make us who we are! Love the struggle. Own the struggle. Make the struggle your B*TCH!

      Delete
  2. The next time someone says this is a decision out of vanity, tell them to put 2 25 pound dumbells in a bookbag and walk around with them all day and then come back to you and tell you how they feel at the end of the day. And then remind them that you are carrying around MORE than that extra 50 pounds EVERY DAY on your body! I'm serious. They wouldn't make it 15 minutes, much less the entire day. I know because now when I have to carry the 30 pound bag of dog food upstairs, I wonder how I carried 3+ of those all day every day in fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so right on. I wrote myself a letter the day before surgery( I will be sharing on my blog near my anniversary date in April) reminding my furture self how it felt to carry around that weight .. I think about it daily it is my motivation to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its seriously like one of the worst feelings to not be able to put my socks on, tie my shoes or clip my toe nails. Its only gotten this bad within the last like 20lbs. I am miserable at this weight. I did order some work out clothes today that I hope will fit!

      Delete
  4. I love this post so much. Now that I've lost quite a bit of weight, I look back at some of the daily struggles I used to face and I don't know how I got through my day.

    Some people will NEVER understand your journey. And you know what? That's okay because it's YOUR journey. Make peace with that now because as you lose weight and get healthy, you'll get all kinds of comments, observations, and "opinions". I have NO doubt that you'll be able to handle it all with style and grace. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe I'm glad this post spoke to you :) I just write sometimes and think that no one will relate. Glad to know I'm not the only one

      Delete