MyFitnessPal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Friday, March 7, 2014

Here we go!

So, Lets start from the top.

Hi, My name is Jessica. I am 27 years old from.. to make it easy lets just say Seattle.  No one really knows where Sumner or Pacific are, so Seattle! I work at the University of Washington in an administrative job (which means I am sitting at a desk most of the day.. whomp whomp whomp).

I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I have always been the fat girl with a pretty face.  That fact has not held be back from a lot of things. At least not that I have really noticed until recently. I have had boyfriends, friendships, traveled and etc. I try not to let it get into my way.  As of late, my weight has SKYROCKETED! I used to "top out" at about 250lbs get on a diet and start moving more and I could drop 20-30lbs fairly easily.  This is no longer the case for me. This morning I weighed in at a crushing 291.8lbs. That officially an all time high. One that I am not proud of, it is just fact.  I have been doing weight watchers for 3 months and have not lost a pound, in fact I have gained 3lbs.

The idea of weight loss surgery has always scared me, and I have been opposed to the idea.  Recently, I have been rethinking.  The idea of being morbidly obese scares me much more than the weight loss surgery.  I know I am going to encounter a lot of "haters" with this decision.  Unfortunately, a lot of those will be my family. People always want to tell me why I don't need to worry but here are a few reasons why I do:


  • Diabetes
  • Heart Disease
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Stroke
  • Sleep Apnea
  • Not to mention these photos:




I am not hating on myself by any means. I just want to accept the fact there is a problem and I need to fix it. 

I spoke to my doctor last night, he agrees that I have thought about this decision thoroughly and is referring me to the bariatric case manager. If I get approved by the case manager then I can start the months for pre-op work that is required. I will update this as soon as I know anything. 

LET THE JOURNEY BEGIN!  And may the odds be ever in my favor?

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I love this post. So glad you've started blogging. :)

    Ah...yes. The "you have such a pretty face". I cannot even TELL you how many well-meaning people have laid that one on me in my life. You are a gorgeous girl. Right now. As is.

    Congratulations on the start of your journey. I'm here if you need me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovey! I really appreciate it. It's such an unknown world going in, and now that I have had a chance to share in others journeys I feel more prepared. I just hope that I can give that back in my blog and help someone else down the line.

      Here's to fresh starts and new motivation!

      Delete
  2. Your story reminds me a lot of myself. I'm a little older than you now (38) but still I can relate.
    I think you're beautiful, but I know you have a desire to be more healthy.
    I can't advise you on what to do as far as weight loss surgery, but I can offer what has worked for me.
    I started my journey at 291 pounds, just like you! Today I'm 215 and in better shape than ever. I have even learned to love running!
    My blog has been horribly neglected because life got in the way, but you're welcome to read some of my story here:
    http://losin-it-somewhere.blogspot.com/
    My biggest piece of advice would be that no matter what you choose, surgery or not, start moving more. Take short walks every day and build up to longer ones at faster paces. Make sure your hormones are in the healthy range, and start moving your body!
    Good luck to you and I hope you find the success you're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reaching out. It means a lot to me to have people read my story and take the time out to comment. I will definitely check out your blog. I am a sponge for information and inspiration right now.

      You are correct about needing to move more. That is one piece I have been neglecting recently and I am sure it's the cause of my frustration. I work for a university with a large campus and park my car far from my office. This forces me to get at least 40 minutes of walking in a day. However I have not seen any changes so I need to do more.

      Delete
  3. I just came across your blog, you have a great attitude! I am recently sleeved (4 wks). I hope you get approved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I did get approved now I am waiting to get started with all the pre-op requirements after my first consultation on April 17th :)

      So glad to have you here. I am going to check out your blog. I love hearing/reading about other peoples journeys.

      Delete